Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

"Can't post comments."

edited February 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
My users are experiencing this problem some of the time, but not always:
Sometimes when posting a comment the request is redirected to /garden/home/permission which says "Permission Problem A fatal error occurred while processing the request. The server returned the following response: JKLNDHGFRPJP" However there is no message that says "Couldn't post" or any message, the loading icon just stops. While this might not be a problem, could you elaborate what is happening?

Comments

• Options
    Are you using some kind of load balancer?
  • Options
    Yes.

Though I think it turned out to be wrong permission problems.

But in the log, there are all sorts of error log messages. What may a load balancer do and how should I accommodate for it?
  • Options
    Not 100% sure of all the points involved, but I'd say that the transientKey isn't share between all your servers instances.

To fix it, it all depends where this transientKey is stored, if it's in phpsession, you need to share those between your servers (such as an nfs share for php sessions, but I don't know of the performance of those kind of things). Documentation is available on the web for those kind of issues, but first you need to find out if it's really your issue.
  • Options
    Well, that's the problem I first had some months ago when I was using Vanilla's built in handshaking methods. Sessions would not transfer. Then I made a new authentication class so it talked to our server's user and session data directly with our API, based on the session cookie shared on all the servers. So on each server, when this cookie is present, it checks if a user is associated with that session, and if so, who they are and if they're logged in, and if there's any update to the user data, and if so, update the user forum table. And upon doing so, the forum recognizes them as a logged in... and does that other rudimentary handshaking stuff (associates them with a forum user table or creates a row for 'em).
  • Options
    dietbrisk, do you remember the details of the permissions problems you were having? I'm having a similar issue, although it happens every time and I don't get any error message.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hi,

Just built my very first website and I think I'm still having same problem. I ask ed my friend to post a comment, but he said that he can't. I thought it was a joke but yes! He can't post anything. :(
  • Options
    In my case, this was an .htaccess rule that was affecting Vanilla.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/139848#Comment_139848