Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 1 & 2, evolution or fork?

edited March 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have a Wordpress blog (which I am very happy with) and found my way here as I have become very frustrated with the development of Buddypress and BB press. I have two projects. One is to add a forum and community to my existing blog, the second is a new site from scratch, primarily community with some blog features.

The Question: Is Vanilla 1 primarily a forum and Vanilla 2 more of a CMS? Are they going to merge or is this a fork?

From what I have read so far, I am starting to gather I want to add Vanilla 1 to my existing Wordpress blog. For my second project I might consider using Vanilla 2 to build a standalone community with attached blog like postings.

I see others use Wordpress and Vanilla together, are there any problems with installing Vanilla in a sub directory. I saw the single sign on plug in. How hard is it to blend the navigation on the Vanilla side.

Sorry for all the questions, I have had a number of past attempts at developing a community which just resulted in a complete time suck.

Is there a live site somewhere where someone built a community with well done extended profiles of the members?

BTW: the interface on Vanilla is pretty sweet.

Thank you,
Jay

Comments

• Vanilla 2 is a fresh start. Nothing is compatible between v1 and v2. They are both forum apps but Vanilla 2 framework is just easier to extends.

About installing Vanilla 2 in a wp subfolder there are discussion about it like this one:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/10051/whew-wordpress-vanilla-integration/

(there is/was recent bug that prevent Vanilla 2 from being installed in any subfolder; I am not sure it has been fixed)

• edited March 2010
    @dinoboff thanks for clearing that up. I really like what I see. I have been reading this and that all day. Am I in a holding pattern until Vanilla 2 is finalized?

More than anything, the interface is pretty intuitive. Something I have not been able to find otherwise. I just installed V1 locally using MAMP on my desktop. I muck around with this until V2 is finalized. (Target date?)

patience is a virtue.