HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Vanilla 1 & 2, evolution or fork?

edited March 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have a Wordpress blog (which I am very happy with) and found my way here as I have become very frustrated with the development of Buddypress and BB press. I have two projects. One is to add a forum and community to my existing blog, the second is a new site from scratch, primarily community with some blog features.

The Question: Is Vanilla 1 primarily a forum and Vanilla 2 more of a CMS? Are they going to merge or is this a fork?

From what I have read so far, I am starting to gather I want to add Vanilla 1 to my existing Wordpress blog. For my second project I might consider using Vanilla 2 to build a standalone community with attached blog like postings.

I see others use Wordpress and Vanilla together, are there any problems with installing Vanilla in a sub directory. I saw the single sign on plug in. How hard is it to blend the navigation on the Vanilla side.

Sorry for all the questions, I have had a number of past attempts at developing a community which just resulted in a complete time suck.

Is there a live site somewhere where someone built a community with well done extended profiles of the members?

BTW: the interface on Vanilla is pretty sweet.

Thank you,
Jay

Comments

• Vanilla 2 is a fresh start. Nothing is compatible between v1 and v2. They are both forum apps but Vanilla 2 framework is just easier to extends.

About installing Vanilla 2 in a wp subfolder there are discussion about it like this one:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/10051/whew-wordpress-vanilla-integration/

(there is/was recent bug that prevent Vanilla 2 from being installed in any subfolder; I am not sure it has been fixed)

• edited March 2010
    @dinoboff thanks for clearing that up. I really like what I see. I have been reading this and that all day. Am I in a holding pattern until Vanilla 2 is finalized?

More than anything, the interface is pretty intuitive. Something I have not been able to find otherwise. I just installed V1 locally using MAMP on my desktop. I muck around with this until V2 is finalized. (Target date?)

patience is a virtue.