Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

conf directory permissions weirdness

edited April 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I've installed a new copy of vanilla1.1.10, and I've got the problem when trying to change any of the settings results in the "The file could not be opened" error. I'm guessing that doing a chmod would fix the problem, but...

I don't quite understand how the problem has occurred, so maybe someone can explain!
As I see it, the process is something like this:
1) The installer process created the conf/settings.php file (in this case with the user and group of "nobody" and permissions of 644 - i.e. 'rw' for "nobody").
2) When I try to change the settings, it tries to open the conf/setting.php file for writing, and fails. Presumably this is still running as user "nobody", and that user owns the files and has "rw" access, so why would it fail?

There must be something I'm missing!

Comments

• Try setting the permissions on the `conf` directory to 755. I think that, depending on the security settings, PHP won't allow files to be accessed if it thinks that their permissions (which might actually be the permissions of the directory) are too permissive.