Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2 RC1 Instalation Error

edited June 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Well, I was trying to install Vanilla 2 on my host (byethost) but I have always the same error. After pressing "Continue" in the first screen, I get this message:

Fatal Error in PHP.Gdn_ErrorHandler();
getmypid() has been disabled for security reasons
The error occurred on or near: /(...)/library/vendors/phpass/PasswordHash.php

39: $this->iteration_count_log2 = $iteration_count_log2;
40:
41: $this->portable_hashes = $portable_hashes;
42:
43: $this->random_state = microtime() . getmypid();
44: }
45:
46: function get_random_bytes($count)
47: {

Is this error because of my host? It seems that a function has been disabled, because I have a free account only. Is there any solution?

Thanks,
Scorch

Comments

• lukoielukoie New
    edited June 2010
    @scorchpt try to install on localhost (i love UsbWebserver app), configure everything in the Vanilla as you like, then you can just upload working copy of the forum on your host via ftp and phpmyadmin import/export fuction.
  • lukoielukoie New
    edited June 2010
    @scorchpt BTW, try to install Vanilla2 _RC2_ first!
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited June 2010
    @scorchpt

It seems like your host might have disabled the getmypid() function for some reason. I'm guessing that they consider it to be a security hole somehow...

This function is actually being called in a piece of 3rd party code that we use for generating passwords. We've recently updated our version of that library to avoid usage of getmypid() when it is not available. We'll be putting this up as part of RC3 when it comes out sometime this week.

Sorry for the inconvenience. If you're desperate to sort this out ASAP, just change that one line (43) to $this->random_state = microtime();.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• @Tim Thanks, I will do that. :)