Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

'50 older comments' vs pagination

edited June 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I've been using Vanilla 2 for a few months now and I adore it... but I'm finding the Facebook-style '50 older comments' functionality counter-intuitive - it does not feel like a better solution than traditional pagination.

On Facebook, where there are usually a smaller number of comments, it seems to work fine, but on a forum that can sometimes have a great deal of comments, it doesn't seem to 'fit'. I've found that the permalinks do not work properly and you can't link someone to a certain 'page' of comments - for example, there may be key things discussed via multiple comments on 'page 3' of comments.

No doubt this could be overridden with a plugin but just wanted to say it doesn't feel like a better solution than pagination.

What are others' thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    We actually talked about this earlier today and we thought we might either make the pagination type into an option, or we'll try to implement a sort of algorithm to intelligently use either the current "MorePager" or a traditional "Pager" depending on how many comments there are. How does that sound?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    Idea #2 sounds neat.
  • Options
    @Tim, if that includes a personal override setting, great.
  • Options
    Quick and dirty fix is to replace all "MorePager" occurences with proper gdn::config() call.
  • Options
    jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012

kevinkavs said:
    facebook's is better

You dug up a thread posted 2 years ago to say that?

• Options

LOL! +1!

• Options

jspautsch said:
    You dug up a thread posted 2 years ago to say that?

Lol, that's why I deleted his comment to let the damn thread sink away again. Now we're doing the lol and lol+1 posts :-S

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Cool, no worries - feel free to delete my comment/s too.