Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

SoftWrap

StashStash
edited September 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
SoftWrap

Comments

• Uploaded version 1.0.3 of SoftWrap.
  • Great idea [-Stash-],
    Could the same effect be achieved by simply adding this extension's CSS styles to the vanilla.css file?

Posted: Thursday, 22 March 2007 at 2:12PM (AEDT)

• Sure could, just copy the contents of the CSS file in total and bung it at the end of vanilla.css, but the reason I made this an extension was so I didn't have to worry about it when upgrading the core files.
  • Fair enough I guess, although I already have a heap of extra CSS definitions in my vanilla.css file which I keep track of religiously.

Actually, SoftWrap would be a cool addition here on this forum!

While I think of it, could it be set up so it does not break words when it turns over a line?

That's a bit annoying, it should break based on spaces don't you think?

Posted: Thursday, 22 March 2007 at 5:34PM (AEDT)

• IE breaks the lines, moz doesn't...
  • Safari breaks lines mid-word too, Firefox does not.

Posted: Thursday, 22 March 2007 at 8:38PM (AEDT)

• Thanks, nice to know (still haven't hooked the Mac Mini up to the WiFi router...). I don't suppose you'd mind removing the following, one at a time, and see if that stops the mid-word breaks, then report back would you?white-space:pre-line;/* CSS 3 (and 2.1) */and thenword-wrap:break-word;/* IE */Thanks :)
  • Removed this, no change...
    white-space:pre-line;/* CSS 3 (and 2.1) */

Removed this, it broke, the whole sentence stopped wrapping.
    word-wrap:break-word;/* IE */

Posted: Friday, 23 March 2007 at

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    When this is fixed for all browsers, I'll add it to the core :)
  • Uploaded version v5 of SoftWrap.
  • OK, I've fixed the css for IE4, 5, 5.5, 6, 7, Safari 3 (win), Opera 9 and Firefox 3. These all work perfectly (including long word-breaking). Firefox 1, 1.5 and 2 do not appear to support word-breaking and so could only be fixed with a bit of JS I guess... If someone knows otherwise, please let me know and I'll update accordingly.
This discussion has been closed.