Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Crude RSS

dan39dan39 New
edited May 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Crude RSS

Comments

• Uploaded version 1.0.2 of Crude RSS.
  • Uploaded version 1.0.2 of Crude RSS.
  • I don't use Feedburner ... but are you suggesting that one could get around the dreaded Can't Use Vanilla RSS For Authenticated Feeds by mapping to Feedburner? If so, what is tiny bit of (extra?) organization required beyond the procedure for using this Add-on?
  • I'm not suggesting that you could circumvent Authenticated Feeds. All I'm saying is that let's say we have Crude RSS set up on this forum. So, we do an empty comment search and grab the resulting RSS feed and manually designate that to be the default RSS feed for the site. So, on Lussumo's Community, it would be this: http://lussumo.com/community/search/?PostBackAction=Search&Advanced=1&Type=Comments&Keywords=&Categories=&AuthUsername=&btnSubmit=Search&Feed=RSS2 For a simple installation of Crude RSS, we insert that feed manually into the Auto-Discovery RSS tag in the head and provide a link to it in the side-panel (if you wish). And we repeat this process for each category on the site. But, if we wanted to implement Feedburner onto the site, we could just give Feedburner those raw RSS feeds and then manually replace the Auto-Discovery RSS tag in the head (and links in the side-panel) with the new Feedburner feeds. The only "organization" is that you need to manually swap the feed for each category with the new Feedburner URLs.
  • Uploaded version 1.0.3 of Crude RSS.
  • Crude RSS 1.0.2 had an issue in it with feeds on invidual comment pages. Please download Crude RSS 1.0.3 for the fix.
  • this add-on gives me a totally blank forum when i enable it.
  • Ah, I upgraded vanilla and now it works.

One question though. What if 'Allow discussions to be categorized' is not checked - how do I set up category feeds? Or should I just remove all sections about categories from the default.php file?

Thanks for working on this.
  • If you don't want to have categories, you should be able to get away with one main feed to cover the index.jsp (discussion) pages. So, you can delete the extra example category feeds and it won't be a problem. But, I'm pretty sure that "Allow discussions to be categorized" would need to be checked in order to set up multiple category feeds.
  • yeah, sorry, that's what i meant, i don't have any categories. i will try without any category feeds.
  • ok, now i get the following

Fatal error: Call to undefined function returnwrappedfeedforsearchrss2() in /home/.lock/circuitron2/www.copsandrobbers.net/messageboard/extensions/CrudeRSS/default.php on line 237

am i missing something? does the original rss2 extension have to be enabled as well as this one?
  • 1) The original RSS2 add on should NOT be enabled. 2) "ReturnWrappedFeedForSearchRSS2" is found in the CrudeRSS's functions.php file. I can't imagine why you're getting that error other than your functions.php file is not the one that came with CrudeRSS. (Seems weird that the function name is displayed in all lowercase in your error message. It should appear like this: "ReturnWrappedFeedForSearchRSS2")
  • yeah, weird indeed, since the line actually says

$Feed = ReturnWrappedFeedForSearchRSS2($SearchForm->Context, $Feed);

i'm not sure what is causing it to change case... that is obviously what is causing the error.
  • I'm getting the exact same problem.
  • Are you guys sure you have the right functions.php?
  • i downloaded the files again and overwrote functions.php, and i still get that error.
  • Uploaded version 1.0.4 of Crude RSS.
  • I fixed it... Download version 1.0.4. and you should be all set.
    I'm really sorry about that. It was a really dumb mistake. (I was the one who was referencing the wrong functions.php from default.php). Thanks for pointing out the error.
  • perfect, thanks dan.

unfortunately... (sorry)... i put the URL into feedburner and i get a 404. the URL does work but FB doesn't like it at all?? i'll keep trying - sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news.
  • I haven't tested it with feedburner myself, but in theory it should work. My guess is that some simple .htaccess RewriteRules will solve the issue.
This discussion has been closed.