Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

image thumbnail

edited November 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I'd love to see a 32 x 32 px thumbnail of images placed in a post along side the title in the main discussion view. this may require the poster to choose a local file, and upload it for thumbnailing (and inclusion) but the stylish results would be really beautiful and might lend some degree of wonder and excitement to the initial impressions people have of the main vanilla appearance. developing a css class for an image, and placing it "float:left" is easy enough for any post. the part which i would not be able to do would be the adding of the function to the board, so that users (perhaps a certain level of users) would have the option to upload the images to be included on the main discussion page. i wonder if that's even interesting to anyone.

Comments

• I'm a little confused. Could you elaborate further atall? What would the images signify?
  • edited November 2005
    At the outset, i guess it's just fluff. A look and feel thing.

a post which includes an image appears:

Music starts at 9:30
    plan to arrive early and experience the entire transformation of music and sound

$10 in advance
    $15 at the door
    Advance tickets available at brown paper tickets

holocene
    1001 se morrison - portland

And with this feature, in the main discussion view, the entry would appear something like this:

Events:Portland, Oregon December 15th 2005

In much the same way a user icon is placed in the header of entries and comments, the same css and markup could be used. To further simplify things, rather than creating a thumbnail of the applied image, perhaps there could simply be an area to add the URL for the preformatted (32x32, or 25x25) image, and if the image was improperly sized, it would be rejected. Keeping things much simpler.

The idea stems from a very nice feature at services like Tribe.net where users and groups may post announcements, and include an image for uploading which operates as an icon for that post, and appears at the top of the entry.

It might be a pretty nice and stylish way of allowing certain categories or types of entries to display with a little more umph and importance in the main discussions window.
  • Hmm, an interesting request certainly. Add it to the wiki and see if you get any takers?
  • I've tried to create an extension which allows members to add attachments to their comments. But Vanilla's current framework wouldn't allow me to add the upload system to the comment form without touching system files (account.php, etc) rather than using only the extension. So I'll wait for the next release to develop such an extension. I will also upgrade the Avatar Uploader (and change it's name to Icon Manager) after we get the new framework from our lovely Mark :)
  • I think the idea of an icon manager is a fantastic idea. How would you make a distinction between creating avatars and icons for posts?
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited November 2005
    I like this idea a lot... a clean and standardised way to introduce images into the mix would be great!
  • sounds like a great idea.
This discussion has been closed.