Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

0.9.3 - translations?

edited November 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi there! I don't want to ask when 0.9.3 will be ready.. Ok I really want to know but I can understand that you have better things to do (Thanksgiving). :-D The template question has already been answered but what about the language files. Will there be changes? I need a German version of Vanilla and Iam not sure if the current language file will work with 0.9.3 so Iam holding back the start of my community.

Comments

• Options
    I would assume that the language files will be almost identical - there may be a couple of changes where stuff has been added or taken away, but the bulk of the definitions should be referenced as they are now. And ofcourse any changes will just require you to paste in a couple of extra lines with the correct translation which shouldnt take you more than a couple of minutes. He'll correct me if i'm wrong but i'm sure if mark was changing something as major as the dictionary methods he would have warned us :)
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    There have been a number of changes and additions. All changes and additions have been documented in the new English language file, so it shouldn't be a big task to make the necessary changes.

The changes are mostly to do with formatting issues with the 0.9.2 version. For example, in the old version there are a number of places where certain codes are meant to be concatenated with dynamic words in between - such as:

[code_begin] . $SomeVariable . [code_middle] . $SomeOtherVariable . [code_end]

This made it very hard for some languages to be translated properly because those variables shouldn't really be appearing in those places in a different language. The new version does it's variable insertions like this:

$Dictionary["some_code"] = "Welcome to the //1 forum, run by //2 and //3 who are swell dudes";

Then when I call the dictionary and request "some_code", I do a str_replace on //1 //2 and //3 with the proper variables. That way you can put //1 //2 and //3 anywhere in the phrase and it will work in any language.

I didn't want to make any changes to the language dictionary, but I felt that these were very necessary to make it truly multilingual.
  • Options
    Well that sounds pretty reasonable. So just to clarify, the dictionary files will only need a couple of changes to correct their output syntax but wont need fully rewriting?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Correct.
  • Options
    The new system sounds pretty good!
This discussion has been closed.