Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Shoutbox

edited March 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Shoutbox

Comments

• The shoutbox is really nice and I can see the last comment underneath it, but when I enter text in the box and hit submit nothing happens. I can however enter a comment in the discussion and it shows up under the shoutbox...there are null errors referencing comment IDs on the page when I try from the shoutbox..
  • Fixed (ekhm, don't ask what it was, it's embarassing). Thank you for your comment :)
  • hmm i've got a "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /www/htdocs/w00c04e1/extensions/Shoutbox/library/Shoutbox.Class.ShoutBox.php on line 5"

after install. :(
  • Same error here with latest Vanilla 1. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks!
  • When I installed the shoutbox it took the entries from the discussion and put them in the sidebar. Now when I click Discussions, I see only the following in the main body:

All Discussions
    1 to 1 of 1
    1 to 1 of 1

It's possible that I just don't know what I'm doing or how the add on is supposed to work.
  • @Tobbes, @remouk I fail to replicate this error on a clean install. This error usually comes up if you use PHP5 syntax (Shoutbox is written with such) in an PHP4 enviroment... Please check your PHP version... [added later] Hmm, it seems that Vanila supports PHP4 syntax, so if you remove public/private from functions in Shoutbox.Class.ShoutBox.php it should work for you... I'll drop it in next version of Shoutbox (will come out, umm, later).

@elizabethohammond It's to be expexted. The thread tied to shoutbox should be visible ONLY as shoutbox or through a special 'Shout' tab.
  • Thanks for the answer! But I'm sorry I read too fast @Tobbes's error, I don't have the same problem.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /(...)/extensions/Shoutbox/library/Shoutbox.Class.ShoutboxSettingsForm.php on line 1

I checked and when I open the file on my server (debian) the whole code is contained in one line (no carriage return/new line). The other files are fine. I re-uploaded (because the file is fine on my computer (windows)) and it didn't change anything. So I modified the code by hand to have proper carriage returns and now it works.
  • It works pretty well! Thanks for your work. Here is my first feedback.

==== Small bugs ====

- When posting a message the ' appears as \' for the poster
    - When posting, the avatar does not show up for the poster
    - In the options panel, unclicking "Show shoutbox menu item linking to the shoutbox' discussion" doesn't work
    - Not sure if the option "The position of the shoutbox in the menu" works, maybe I don't understand what it does

==== Feature ideas ====

- Auto-refresh every XX seconds (to be determined in the options panel)
    - Adding a link on the Shoutbox' title, so we don't bother having a tab for it
    - Clicking on a shoutbox message could add "@NickName " in the shoutbox textarea

Also, I suggest to replace:
    Submit

With: Submit

Having a button is far more logic for everyone, and it is easier to see than a small "Submit" text without decoration.
  • Damn, the html have been cut. And I can't edit my message. :) So:

I suggest to replace: [div id="ShoutSubmit"]...[/div]
    With: [button id="ShoutSubmit"]...[/button]
  • @remouk Thank you. I've implemented some of your suggestions.

Version 0.6 - fixes:
    - User icon is shown after posting
    - quotes are not escaped after posting
    - Shout tab strip can be hidden (the option for that works)
    - Settings are a bit more clarified
    changes:
    - By clicking on someone's shout you add a @username to shout textarea
    - Submit field was migrated from div to button
  • @Anfit Wow, it's awesome! Thanks!

Just wanted to let you know I still have the file problem (Shoutbox.Class.ShoutboxSettingsForm.php doesn't work on my server, it is considered to be a "one single line" file).
  • Not on my dev box right now so I can't test, but I saw this: "JQuery plugin by [-Stash-] (you're advised switch SmoothPageScroll off though)"

What's the conflict with SmoothPageScroll?

P.S. You can make it easier for your downloaders by linking directly to the JQuery plugin page by putting something like the following in the "Requirements" box.
    JQuery plugin by [-Stash-]
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/231
    (you're advised switch SmoothPageScroll off though as it conflicts)
    Links get auto-linked in the "Requirements" box.
  • @[-Stash-] Thank you, I did not bother linking after link in html got scrambled, I did not notice links are recognized automagically.
    The problem with SmoothPageScroll occurs if you're on a comments page and click on a link directing you to different comments page with an anchor, say, #Item_28, which also exists on your current page. It fails to notice you want to switch threads and moves you to the anchor #Item_28 on the current page. On a quick glance in the code it's due to SmoothPageScroll's usage of pathname instead of full href.

@remouk Something is wrong with newlines there, I'll check and reupload.
  • Version 0.7:
    fixes:
    - corrected newlines in Shoutbox.Class.ShoutboxSettingsForm.php
    - settings page is slightly less unreadable
    changes:
    - on shout submit all new shouts are returned (not just the one just posted)
    - shoutbox checks for new shouts every other {user-set variable, default 60} seconds
  • Thanks for the update! Keep up the good work.
  • This is a nice plugin idea but it doesn't work for the latest Vanilla 2.0.19.9. Any kind souls care to update it?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    It looks like a plugin for vanilla 1 not 2.
    There's a similar shoutbox plugin for v1 (vanshout or something like that IIRC)
  • Domos123Domos123 New
    edited January 2012

cayakmt said:
    testing posting a link:

[url=http://www.google.com]google[/url]

This isn't the place... create your own discussion