Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Read count for posts – possible?

edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
What would have to be done to get a "PostViews" plugin similar to the PostCount plugin?

Can't find any plugin that does it, so I guess we'll have to make one.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Bump.

Anyone have any idea how complicated it is to do? I know basic PHP and was thinking I could modify the PostViews plugin.
  • Options
    bump.
  • Options
    You mean a view count for threads?
  • Options
    Yes. I'm guessing there's no data on how many times a post has been viewed stored in the vanilla db, so I would have to create a new table and a basic counter in php, am I right?

I don't know how to do it at the moment, but I'm willing to learn as I go along. Just wanted to hear if it's doable before I begin.
  • Options
    It doesn't seem very practical to me considering most people don't view individual posts but a page of posts making a view count of individual posts at best very inaccurate.
  • Options
    Right, I see what you mean.

I think I've used the wrong word. What I would like to achieve is a view count for threads. Or in Vanilla terminology: discussions.
  • Options
    Ah well in that case all you have to do is wait a bit as far as I know. Do you mean something similar to the 'views' count in this forum? If so then I believe that plugin is being made available to the community at some stage in the near future.
  • Options
    Awesome. I actually didn't see it there!

I should be able to trim out the Votes, Follows and Answers (not needed for my use) and just keep the Views once the addon has been made available. Let's hope it's out soon.

Thanks a lot.