Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Problems understanding upgrade 2.0 to 2.01

DanDevineDanDevine
edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Ok, this is a new process for me. I successfully imported my database from version 1 to version 2.0 of Vanilla but am having trouble going to 2.01. I attempted it last night before the instructions were posted but have had no success. It looks like it will be a sweet process to upgrade versions but I need help on this first one. I followed these instructions:

Upgrading Vanilla 2.0 Forums

Sign into your existing forum with the user that has UserID = 1
Back up your database.
Back up all of your existing files.
Unarchive the new files and copy them over your existing files. Make sure that your hidden files (ie .htaccess) are copied to your server.
Navigate to the page in your forum that updates your database (this will not work if you did not sign in as UserID = 1): www.yourdomain.com/path/to/vanilla/utility/structure
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the button to run the update scripts.
Navigate to your forum and test away!

But I don't understand the "Navigate to the page" line. When I navigate to the forum after the files are replaced I get a page to enter all the database, host, username, password stuff. I don't get a "click to upgrade" button at the bottom. When I refill in all the data (hostname, database name, etc.) and hit enter I get this error:

Fatal Error in Gdn_Database.Query();
Duplicate entry '1' for key 'PRIMARY'
update GDN_User User set
Name = :Name,
Password = md5(:Password),
Email = :Email,
ShowEmail = :ShowEmail,
Gender = :Gender,
DateOfBirth = :DateOfBirth,
DateFirstVisit = :DateFirstVisit,
DateLastActive = :DateLastActive,
DateInserted = :DateInserted,
DateUpdated = :DateUpdated,
Admin = :Admin,
UserID = :UserID

Any help would be appreciated. Once I get this procedure once I think it will be a nice way to upgrade between versions.

I reverted back to my 2.0 backup folder and all is well but I can't do the upgrade.

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Okay, it looks like we missed a step there. Make sure to take a copy of your conf/config.php file and copy it to the new folder.
  • Options
    Ok Todd,

I did have a config.php file it there but the size was much larger than the 2.0 backup config.php. I deleted the larger one and installed the backup config.php. Refreshed the page and everything ran fine although I never got to the "update" button but the dashboard reports I am running version 2.01. I think I am ok now. Thanks for your quick response and help.

Dan