Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Which version to upgrade to and security

edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have taken over an existing forum which is still version 1.0.1
I have admin rights but the forum is hosted by an IT company.
The users love the simplicity and the fact that it loads quickly but would like to be able to see who is online, use smiley's and add some more photo's.
I also need an auto email verification.
Is it advisable to upgrade or can I get that as add on's?
If I upgrade, which would be the best version to upgrade to?
I created categories which only the moderators should see and we also make use of whispers, when I upgrade will it keep all the categories and settings?
Thank you!

Comments

• Anyone?
  • TimTim Vanilla Staff
    Vanilla 2 does not support whispers. This functionality has been shifted to a more standard "Inbox" / personal message type system.

If you're looking to keep things simple, either upgrade to 1.1.10 or don't upgrade at all.

If you're looking for new features and a more modern forum, upgrade to 2.0.3. You might need to wait while the plugin scene catches up, however.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• edited September 2010
    Thank you!! My biggest issue is email verification. does 1.1.10 have auto email verification? or can I get it as an add on?
  • edited September 2010
  • TimTim Vanilla Staff
    We don't officially support 1.1.10 anymore, but even if we did, it does not have built-in email verification. 2.x will get this in the future at some point though.

Its something pretty easy though, so perhaps someone in the community would like to write this into the core, or make a plugin for it.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]