Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Hyphen in usernames

edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Would it be possible to allow hyphens (-) to be used in usernames? I'm not sure why they're not allowed by default.
Tagged:

Comments

• I've noticed that when you create a user as administrator, you can use hyphen without any problem, so the registration form seems to be too strict, though I'm not sure if everything works 100 % for that user
  • A cursory test shows that @ replies do not work if a hyphen is included. I imagine that block of code could be edited, but I haven't worked with regular expressions, so I wouldn't know how.

In addition to @ replies, sending Conversations doesn't work either. It outputs the error 'You must select at least one recipient.' I'm not sure about any other functions that are broken with hyphened usernames.

For forum users that want to use their name, not being able to use hyphens is trouble. John Doe-Moe, for example.
  • My site is aimed to be a PC gaming community, and gamers love adding symbols to their names to make them feel unique.

My solution for this was simple, create a second field, NickName, that will be displayed next to (or instead of) the UserName. Leave the @UserName, and maybe even add the @NickName somewhere down the line.

Still working on it, but the idea is started in my About Me plugin.