Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Life without categories

edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
What happened to categories in Vanilla Forums v2? Are tags supposed to fully replace them? The design's similar to the StackExchange websites (StackOverflow.com, ServerFault.com etc) who also use tags and have no categories, but then they have seperate websites for each "category" they cover.

Website's I've worked on previously have had at least "News", "General discussion", and "Support" categories. The "News" category is restricted to the site owners and appears on the sites frontpage. How does that work now? Do I show discussions tagged "News" instead? In which case, how do I ensure normal users don't use the "News" tag?

So what's your experience of living without categories in Vanilla Forum v2? Are your users happier? I'm just not sure about it yet...
Tagged:

Comments

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    Hi neutral,

V2 still delivers the functionality of categories and i think this will stay. I run a board about babys and pregnancy and my users won't be able to and wouldn't like to use tags anyway.

On the other hand it seems to me a bad thing that those discussion not efficiently tagged will be lost in the stream.
    • VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla