Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can we have better installer packages please?

MikhaelMikhael New
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Various installers use minimal sized packages which only include files which have been modified since the last installer was created. Currently, every time Vanilla 2 is updated, we all have to download the entire installer zip file, and then overwrite everything on our sites. If you have multiple Vanilla sites on one or more servers this is nasty. Can you devs not create a small installer containing only modified files? Everyone would be very grateful!
@Mark, @Tim, @Todd and @anyone-else-who-devs
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

Dude great idea.

Obviously we have thought of this, and the topic of a good automated installer/updater comes up almost daily in the office. The issues are time and priorities. There are tons of features that have been suggested/requested/demanded of us, and we have to put them in a sensible order.

Currently, when we release a new version, there is a solution that works. You can get it installed. It's not the *best* system, it's not even a *good* system, but it does work. So our priority for it is somewhat lower than other things, like say bugs.

As we've said before when this issue gets brought up, "we'll get to it". Eventually.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    MikhaelMikhael New
    edited September 2010
    @Tim; Tony says, "Don't treat this lightly, dudes!"

So what's needed is lots of votes and a push for a small install file, and it'll go up the list, yes? I vote +90. This will really help keep people on-board. Full downloads and tedious re-uploading to servers is a fan-killer. :)
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    MikhaelMikhael New
    edited September 2010
    LOL!!! In Soviet Russia, Vanilla would download YOU!