Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Extending core tables in plugins

judgejjudgej
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Many (if not most) modules in Vanilla 1 messed around with the core tables, often adding columns here and there where they were needed. Vanilla 2 plugins don't seem to do that. Is that a new coding standard for Vanilla, or frowned upon, or just something I have not yet encountered?

Adding metadata to users is easy now due to the helper classes that manage all that. How about discussions and comments? If I want to add a few flags to the comments for use in my plugin, is the standard here to create a new table and add the properties to that, linking by comment and discussion IDs?

Comments

• Options
    Just on the subject of user data, users have settings in the user table (a serialized array - fast but nasty to handle outside of PHP) and there is a separate metadata table. Do they both service essentially the same purpose, or is there a subtle difference?
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    We made UserMeta to help plugin devs handle user data in a clean way. Gdn_Plugin contains methods that handle this for you.

As for extending core tables, IPTracking plugin does this:
    $Structure = Gdn::Structure(); $Structure ->Table('User') ->Column('LastIP', 'varchar(14)', TRUE) ->Set(FALSE, FALSE);

"Add a column called LastIP to the User (GDN_User) table as a varchar(14) which CAN be NULL".

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    Thanks. It still does not feel right extending a core table for a plugin, but it doesn't half make querying, setting and sorting that data easier that using additional tables (which, often being 1:1 relationships, also does not feel right).
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Choose the way you like to work :)

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]