Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Use the voting to promote users

pixelinepixeline New
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Nice and promising plugin! I would like to ask that each vote that a question or answer receives be used to make "useful" users stand out (those that ask right questions or provide right and helpful answers). Much like what is done on stackoverflow.com They also provide "badges" when specific events happen to their questions or answers (number of page views, number of replies, etc.)
Are these planned features?
Thanks for the hard work!
a.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Nice and promising plugin! I would like to ask that each vote that a question or answer receives be used to make "useful" users stand out (those that ask right questions or provide right and helpful answers). Much like what is done on stackoverflow.com They also provide "badges" when specific events happen to their questions or answers (number of page views, number of replies, etc.)
    Are these planned features?
    These kinds of features have been talked about alot between the four of us, and we're very interested in doing more things like what you've suggested. I'm not sure when, or what in what form, but yes, we want to take the Voting idea in that direction.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    pixelinepixeline New
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I guess right now the voting does not serves much (but i understand this is a work-in-progress). How about starting by having an option to display the score of each user underneath its name and have a chart UI showing the most scored?
    When that is done, a second option would be to assign "titles" to scores. So user with 151 points would become a "apprentice", 500 points an "expert", etc. These titles and their scores would be configurable in the plugin options screen.

I didn't want to say that yo ushould use stackoverflow system, which is maybe too developed anyway. Just something that motivates users to get points. Also help the question initiator to know whose answer is most reliable.
    Thanks for reading this.
    a.
  • Options
    Or how about have voting which affects post look (e. g. size of text, font color) and general "karma" of the author of that post?

Would be great to have an option for custom computation of the post score (depending on users votes, their karma, ...) and user karma (depending on received votes, time since sing up, number of posts etc.).