Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

ProxyConnect 1.8 Features - Sneak Peek

TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
We've been working on a new idea for ProxyConnect v1.8 called Remote Integration Managers.

The idea here is that any time we decide to build support for a remote platform directly into ProxyConnect, like we did for Wordpress, we'd like to be able to make that integration as a simple and seamless as possible for the end user (you guys, forum admins).

For Wordpress, we've managed to distill the configuration process down into 2 steps:

Step 1) Enable the plugin on your blog. We've removed the need to configure it manually at this stage.
Step 2) Turn on ProxyConnect and simply enter your blog's URL. ProxyConnect and the Wordpress RIM take care of the rest.

To demonstrate how it works, here's a short screencast of the procedure.

Note: There's a typo in the UI somewhere... I've seen it already, can you spot it? :p

What do you guys think?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Comments

• Wild!
  • Tim, i've implemented successfully SSO, current version on our system. It's great.
    I have a feature request:
    Our forum is open to both our Extranet users and the wide audience. The former should have their accounts linked (done, thanks to SSO). The later should be able to create an account, only valid on the forum. Done too. Vanilla is plain vanilla.
    Now, here is my request: i would like that users that have an account in our extranet get a different role than "member", as i would like to give them access to an additional forum category, only accessible to extranet members.

Possible?
    thanks!
    a.
  • So, when is it coming? :)
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    Can't wait for this... it's gonna blow the door wide open for Vanilla since theres already so many Wordpress users out there looking for a seamless forum addon. BBPress failed miserably
  • Brilliant! I look forward to the release :-)
  • Appear to be getting this error when trying to setup integration - using the latest version of WordPress, the WP3 plugin and Vanilla:

Unable to create wordpress proxyconnect provider entry in GDN_UserAuthenticationProvider.

Possible reasons:

* Database was not created. Did you enable ProxyConnect properly, through the Plugins screen?
    * Does your database user have write permissions to the GDN_UserAuthentication* tables?

I have to say the readme isn't very clear; these two steps are hard to understand:

3. Copy Vanilla's "Cookie Domain" value from your Vanilla Single Sign-on screen into WordPress' Single Sign-on screen.
    4. Copy WordPress' four "Url" values from your WordPress Single Sign-on screen into Vanilla's Single Sign-on screen.