Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Setting permissions

edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
When I navigate to the folder where my vanilla files are located, I get an error message that say the proper permissions are not set for some of the folders. What is the easiest way (for a real amateur) to modify the permissions? Thanks!

Comments

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Is your host on Linux or Windows ?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• chmod to 777 on your file manager.
  • My host is on Windows. Thanks to kaos for the answer "chmod to 777 on your file manager," but that's not basic enough for me to understand how to actually do it.
  • The error page from vanilla says to change the permissions thus:

chmod -R 777 D:\Hosting\6696306\html\vanilla/conf
    chmod -R 777 D:\Hosting\6696306\html\vanilla/uploads
    chmod -R 777 D:\Hosting\6696306\html\vanilla/cache

It says I can do this via FTP, but how? These are simply lines of text, not files. Can I save these as files, then upload them? If so, what type of file (.txt?); do I upload them into the root directory, the vanilla folder, or each respective folder? Or am I totally off base?

It also says I can make these changes via command line. That I don't begin to know how to do, or where to start. Thanks again for any help offered.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited September 2010
    When you log in with your FTP client, you obviously nagivated to a folder and then uploaded vanilla to that folder. Looks like your root folder is D:\Hosting\6696306\html\ and the vanilla/ folder sits inside there.

Each of the files that need their permissions changed are found directly within vanilla's main folder and are included in the download. If you clicked on the vanilla/ folder you'd see them all sitting there: conf/, uploads/, and cache/.

These are the files (folders) you need to work on. Each FTP client is different so I will not really be able to get very specific here (and to a large extent, learning how your software works is not my responsibility). What you're trying to do is find a window that lets you modify the access permissions on each of these folders. You're in windows, so you'll probably need to start by right clicking a folder, and look for either a "Permissions" or "Properties" menu item. If you can only find Properties, chances are there will be a submenu or tab within that menu which will be labeled Permissions.

The 777 part explains what permissions the folder needs. 777 means "Read, Write and Execute for the Owner, Owner's Group, and Everyone else". Your permission screen probably has a 3-by-3 matrix of checkboxes that look something like this:

Write Read Execute Owner [ ] [ ] [ ] Group [ ] [ ] [ ] Everyone [ ] [ ] [ ]

Check off everything.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• If you need anymore help, please feel free to PM me, i will ask for your login details, and i will be able to install vanilla for you within 24 hours. If not dont worry tim explained alot above.
  • Hey, I think I got it! Thanks for the great help. Now if I can just get the MySQL PDO driver enabled ...
  • Ah yes. What host are you using? Alot of hosts dont have this enabled as its a 'security risk' as i was told by 000webhost