Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Install problem - missing .htaccess

edited March 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I've just downloaded, installed and attempted to start and configure, however it says there is no .htaccess file and can't continue, looking in the zip file no .htaccess is present to ftp across to the server. Yes I know what they are, I'm already running WordPress 3.0.1 and bbPress 1.0. Evaluating Vanilla with a view to dropping bbPress. Is there a freestanding copy of the file I can retrieve from somewhere?

Comments

• ithcyithcy New
    edited September 2010
    i just downloaded the zip file to confirm, and .htaccess is definitely in there. you may need to configure your ftp client to show hidden or dot files.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    i just downloaded the zip file to confirm, and .htaccess is definitely in there. you may need to configure your ftp client to show hidden or dot files.
    Exactly right.

There is a text version of the contents of the htaccess file in this comment:
    http://www.vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/128977/#Comment_128977

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• edited September 2010
    I'm using FileZilla as ftp client on a Mac, its set to view hidden files so it may be a problem with the defaults for unzipping the archive. Thanks for the link to the text version.
    Are there any other system/hidden files?
    Should the developer(s) include a filelist in the archive file, so that you can check if anything is missing?
  • There's only .gitignore, which you can... ignore.
    This is not a scenario that's likely to come up too often, it may be more hassle than it's worth to create such a file and keep it updated.
  • Maybe the installer should remark the expected system/hidden files are not present and give you an option to continue or not, rather than rudely halt. (I know that's a pain for unattended installs) Maybe any hidden/system files supplied should be documented in the readme
  • Yeah, have something like when you go in Firefox to about:config ...
  • I'm downloaded the vanilla forum file structure manually via Godaddy's control panel. And I installed the file structure as a zip file to my desk top. The .htaccess doesn't show in the file, nor in Godaddy. Is there any way I can enable something to make it visible so I can upload it? I tried saving the text version in a text edit file so I could upload it, but it's invisible.