Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Whispers in Vanilla 2

lylelyle New
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Can somebody elaborate on the state of whispered threads and comments after converting to Vanilla 2?

I don't see a "whisper" button to reply to particular comments. The Conversations feature seems to fill the role of private threads, but after our conversion from 1.x, I've had users point out the *very alarming* observation that they are seeing whispers not intended for them in their inbox. Has anyone else seen this problem?
Tagged:

Comments

• There seems to be an issue generally related to whispers on GitHub if anyone is interested in voting/commenting/following it there.
  • I just discovered that you can click a user's name and enter a message to them there. Presumably this is a more direct method of communication than a Discussion, however they aren't private. Users can see other people's p2p conversations, but I worry that people will assume this is the new "whisper" functionality.

Not to be the guy who keeps bumping his own question, but these issues are serious and the users of my forum don't really trust the software anymore and have lost confidence that their previously "private" whispers may now be discovered. Can somebody (one of the devs?) *please* elaborate on the current state of private communication within Vanilla 2? I'll apologize in advance if I missed it in the documentation, but I'm fairly sure it's not there.
  • I notice the same thing with my imported V1 forum.
  • I notice the same thing with my imported V1 forum.
    FYI, I opened a new issue and there are some comments there which might be helpful.