Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Turn off avatars?

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is there a simple way to disable profile pictures? I'm currently looking at editing the profile controller to remove the 'Change picture' option and commenting out the picture code across all views wherever its trying to present an avatar. This is a pain though. Wondered if I'm missing something obvious!

Comments

• Options
    The php-gd package is responsible for that. Uninstall that on your production machine and you should be all set. In the beginning, I had issues with php-gd not being installed and had no pictures.

/cd
  • Options
    Hi, sorry probably didn't make myself clear - I have gd installed fine and avatars works fine - I actually want to turn them off and not have them as a feature.
  • Options
    I think what cd was saying was that if you uninstall php-gd the avatars will disappear (same as removing them i guess). This is probably the simpl-est way of removing the avatar feature (in my opinion). Other than that, I don't really know of any other way to remove the avatars - unless your into coding ;).
  • Options
    Right, ok. Though removing server software seems a rather odd way off turning off a feature. I'm pretty sure I'll be needing gd for other purposes elsewhere.

Thanks anyway.
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    We don't currently have a setting to allow administrators to disable pictures and avatars.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    Ok, well for now I've put display:none in the css for each instance where it shows. With the option in the controller commented out. I feel I shouldn't be touching controllers but hey.