Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How do I make my category descriptions visible on the front end?

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi there... I've just started using Vanilla2 in the last couple of days and can't figure out how to make my category descriptions visible in the front end.

This is pretty essential for me... the categories I'm going to use are pretty specific and I want to encourage people posting certain kinds of material.

I've noticed that it's possible via Vanilla1 (the Liminal Nation board has visible category descriptions), so it would seem odd that Vanilla2 can't do it.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Seth

I've been looking at the same issue. The Route call would need to query the database for the categories description. I'm working on it but something like:

/forumname/categories/all/

as an internal would be the starting point.

If anyone could suggest the proper call to the database via the route request it would be helpful.

Thanks!

• Options
    Or is it possible to customize applications/vanilla/views/categories/all.php to add the category description? I think that would work?

div class="Categories">
    <?php foreach ($this->CategoryData->Result() as $Category) {
    $this->Category = $Category;
    $this->DiscussionData = $this->CategoryDiscussionData[$Category->CategoryID];
    if ($this->DiscussionData->NumRows() > 0) {
    ?>
  • Options
    I might have some time to try that tomorrow...
  • Options
    That's the default snippet already in place.
  • Options
    Seth and I are testing a change to add the Category Description to a http://yourserver.com/forum/categories page view. It works for me via a change to the applications/vanilla/views/categories/all.php file. If Seth has luck with it I will post the change in thread for others.
  • Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP