Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Amazing!

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Well having just upgraded my vanilla from 1.7 to the latest I am totally amazed as to how flawless it was.. despite the fact that I had 2029 categories (don't ask its all chemical compounds)

My question is - how do I globally set the permissions in each category? Otherwise its going to be a looooong day...

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @Abacus - Thanks! But wow! 2029 categories!?

You might want to consider moving to tags instead of categories :)

We might have a solution for you to get the categories permissioned quickly. I'm looking into it now...
  • Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    edited October 2010
    There is an advanced configuration setting you can use to disable permissions by category and just have one global set. Add the following to your config.php:
    $Configuration['Garden']['Permissions']['Disabled']['Category'] = TRUE;
    You can also find more advanced settings here: http://vanillaforums.org/page/advancedconfig
  • Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    edited October 2010
    A little googling told me that there are over ten million chemical compounds in existence. That's going to be a lot of categories.
  • Options
    Oh thanks Todd you really cheered me up :-)
  • Options
    Well that has definitely saved me about three days work!

One thing slightly puzzles me - which of the garden settings would you recommend a member has access to?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    If you mean permissions in the "Garden" table, typically basic members just have "Sign In" checked. Most other things are for admins.
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    I'd suggest tags as well... it will save you a lot of headache in the long run in terms of manipulating and displaying the different compounds on your site in various ways
  • Options
    Thanks Raize - looks like a good idea.

One additional idea might be some means of sorting the categories list alphabetically. At the moment the categories are all mixed up alphabetically and some users are finding it hard to locate any specific category. I imagine it would be the same for any user with a large number of categories.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Just in case anyone is wondering why they don't use the find - you would be amazed just how many people cannot spell (I wouldn't enter this in Google - you might break it) methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucyl phenylalanylalanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolylglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenylalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylvalylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalylglutaminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisoleucyllanylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginyl alanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginyl arginylalanylalanylleucylprolylleucylasparaginylhistidyl leucylvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparaginyl alanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanyl glycylisoleucylserylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysyl alanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycyl alanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisol eucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucyl glutamylprolylglutamyllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyl lysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylprolylmethionyllysyl alanylalanylthreonylarginylserine.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd suggest tags as well... it will save you a lot of headache in the long run in terms of manipulating and displaying the different compounds on your site in various ways
    PROBLEM: tags can only be single words and I seem to remember from my Bsc(Hons) Chemistry NOTTM (1978) degree chemical names can be extremely long and multi-word esp if you attempt to describe DNA or RNA in full, (would fill an encyclopaedia )
  • Options
    Thankfully many of these have some sort of nickname these days.