Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can I let a Guest/non-member post on my forum? Is that safe?

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
There is a local forum in my town that does fairly well. www.hackettstownlife.com/forum

I think part of the success is the fact that it's mostly older, somewhat computer illiterate people using it. They don't want to be bothered by accounts and all that stuff. I'm wondering if you can let guests post on the forum, but disable most of the features until they become a member. Say, no email notifications, no conversations, no file uploads, etc. . .

I originally looked at the ugly Phorum, which lets you post as a guest.

My forum will be in a niche industry that has a lot of older men that aren't very computer savvy. I don't want to scare them away. . . I'd like to engage them in a post or 2 until they realize they might as well make an account.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Well, I know some phpBB's that let you do this, but I don't see one on Vanilla, I don't think its possible sorry. Can you see my question?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I can see it. Thanks for the reply.

I didn't see an option, but i'm wondering if there is still a way.
    Anyone else?
  • Options
    Well, I am pretty sure this is optional, but to see;

it is a vanilla forum correct?
  • Options
    Its vanilla for now. I'm testing out vanilla, bbpress, and possibly another.
  • Options
    what pricing plan?
  • Options
    It's on my server. 1&1. So, free.
  • Options
    I will check into this.
  • Options
    Well;

guests can view the forum, but they cannot post. Sorry. :(