Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Hey! Where the hell is Vanilla 1?

fmimosofmimoso
edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I still want to use it. Why can't I find it for download here?

Furthermore... why did the new version check function stopped working?

Should I start downloading all addons antecipating all Vanilla 1 related stuff disappearing?

Vanilla 1 is slow, is dated, is flawed but I LIKE IT that way - it works for me, it's simple, it has a ton of addons, please don't kill it.

(answering myself, found a download location: http://code.google.com/p/lussumo-vanilla/downloads/detail?name=vanilla-1.1.10.zip&can=2&q=)

Comments

• I would like to see the version check fixed as well.
    It's a problem that has happened before and it's due to changes on the master server.
    I understand that the focus is on Vanilla 2 now but there is always a period of time when people are waiting for the new one to have been out for a while before changing, especially since Vanilla 2 still has major bugs.
  • fmimosofmimoso
    edited October 2010
    I will not change to V2 until all addons that I use in V1 are available in V2.
    If I did so I would be downgrading...

Conquer new audiences but don't let down your actual audience. ;)
    That said, I would enjoy someone assuring me: rest on, we won't kill V1 and related stuff.

SubJunk,
    Is Vanilla 1.2 and members still "alive"? Or is it something that will never happen?
  • SubJunkSubJunk ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    I wanted to continue work on it to release a final version but it seems to have been abandoned now. There is no option to download it on the download page; the version 2 download starts automatically.
    I still have the source files we were using before it ended, though. I could zip them up for you if you want them. There were some good changes from 1.1.10.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    I will not change to V2 until all addons that I use in V1 are available in V2.
    If I did so I would be downgrading...

Conquer new audiences but don't let down your actual audience. ;)
    That said, I would enjoy someone assuring me: rest on, we won't kill V1 and related stuff.
    I'll make a couple of "official" statements here from the Vanilla team.

1) Core Vanilla devs are not planning to manually port (read: recode) Vanilla 1 addons to Vanilla 2 just because they're there. We've done it for a few because that made sense and they were specifically requested by several people, but there is no official plan to port them all.

2) We're no longer officially supporting Vanilla 1 as far as providing help and troubleshooting. The community is going to be the only way to get help for Vanilla 1.

3) We're not going to remove any addons or documentation for Vanilla 1. That stuff will stay, so you can rest assured there. The code itself is hosted offsite at Google Code, as was requested by the community when we started Vanilla 2. There *is* a link to that on our download page if you click on "Release Archives".

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• @SubJunk,

Could you put it for download on Google Code for everyone or do you think that isn't a good idea?
    Do you have it working on a production environment? Is it backwards compatible with most addons?

@Tim

Thanks. :)
    My ranting wasn't a request for you to port all V1 addons to V2, I hope you didn't misunderstood me. I was just saying that V1 users are still here and that you shouldn't erase all V1 traces just because V2 is here.

I don't see any "Release Archives" link in the download page (http://vanillaforums.org/download or http://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/downloads) or maybe I don't know to which download page you're referring to.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff