Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to configure sub-categories

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Alright, this seems like a silly question.

I'm operating: Version 2.0.11

1, I go into the dashboard,
2. go to "Forum Settings > Categories"
3. Created parent category
4. Created a normal category

... how do I make the normal category the child of the parent category?

Thanks,
Keith

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Categories, right now, are not the best UI. Basically, if you create a parent category, then EVERY category has to belong to some parent or another. You can't have 5 top level normal (non-parent) categories, and then 1 parent with 1 sub category.

Those 5 other normal categories will need to be in their own parent category as well. I typically create a parent category called "General" for this purpose.

I know it sucks, but its one of those things we've just not yet had a chance to overhaul.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    Ok... I still had no clue how this worked for a while after you explained it... I just realized it now, it's all about ordering the categories under a parent (there's no parent/child setting within the config of either the parent or child).

Thanks for the help... you might want to at least add some on-screen guidance.
  • Options
    to make it more usable you might want to change the admin.css of the dashboard console. I found adding the css below is helpful.
    table.AltColumns tr.Parent td, table tr.Parent td { background-color: #4243A8; color:#fff; } table.AltColumns tr.Parent td.Alt, table tr.Parent td.Alt { background-color: #4243A8; color:#fff; }
  • Options
    Cool, thanks!