Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Need help with Vanilla installation

edited December 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Somebody help me 'cause this is driving me nuts :-/ When I try to install vanilla I keep on getting the same error. I use the installer (also tried manual install) Connecting with the database is ok, en the SQL file gets imported. However after the "hoozah your installation is succesfull" (or similar) page, I try to open up the forum and it then the following error comes up: "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in C:\www\forum\appg\settings.php on line 31" My PHP version is 4.4.1 Apache version is 2.0 MySQL version is 4.1 I reinstalled everything several times. no luck. I also tried installing a older php version (3.x) and a newer one: (5.x) an older SQL version (3) and a newer one (5) With PHP version 5 I encountered problems with connecting to mysql (support not build in), so I cancelled that since I wasn't really interested in ANOTHER problem, and I figured that it would be unlikely that you require php 5 to run vanilla. (right? or is it?) Since the error stated is a "parse" error, it does suggest that PHP is the problem, but I have no clue what could be the problem....... has anyone any idea? It would be a great help! i really like vanilla... and want to use it.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2005
    Could be a missing semicolon or an unescaped quote... EDIT: Nevermind, appg/settings.php shouldn't have changed.
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    Maybe it's nothing, but I set up apache to use virtualhosts. could this be a problem? I pointed the virtual host to: http://forum.renderstream.nl/ it points to the folder that has vanilla. this is: c:\www\forum I set de server to "localhost" and the cookie domain to : forum.renderstream.nl All of this doesn't make sense though..... I would expect that the error is -in fact- a code error in PHP. but how can this be?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I think the best course of action is for you to post your appg/settings.php file up here so we can see it. Be sure to hide or cut out your database connection parameters, though (we don't need to see those :)
  • Options
    Just a quetion inbetween.... if i'am behind NAT, and have disabled the ability to remotely connect to mysql and not forwarded the port on the router...what's the purpose of having a password on mysql, when you are on a private LAN? er... ok ontopic again. here goes: <?php /* * Copyright 2003 - 2005 Mark O'Sullivan * This file is part of Vanilla. * Vanilla is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. * Vanilla is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with Vanilla; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA * The latest source code for Vanilla is available at www.lussumo.com * Contact Mark O'Sullivan at mark [at] lussumo [dot] com * * Description: Global application constants */ // Database Settings define("dbHOST", "localhost"); define("dbNAME", "forum"); define("dbUSER", "root"); define("dbPASSWORD", "*******"); // Path Settings define("agAPPLICATION_PATH", "C:\www\forum/"); define("sgLIBRARY", agAPPLICATION_PATH."library/"); define("agEXTENSIONS", agAPPLICATION_PATH."extensions/"); define("agLANGUAGES", agAPPLICATION_PATH."languages/"); // Application Settings define("agAPPLICATION_TITLE", "test"); define("agBANNER_TITLE", "test"); define("agDEFAULT_STYLE", "styles/vanilla/"); define("agDOMAIN", "forum.renderstream.nl\"); define("agSAFE_REDIRECT", "signin.php?PageAction=SignOut"); define("agDISCUSSIONS_PER_PAGE", "30"); define("agDISCUSSIONS_PER_FEED", "20"); define("agCOMMENTS_PER_PAGE", "50"); define("agSEARCH_RESULTS_PER_PAGE", "30"); define("agCOOKIE_DOMAIN", "forum.renderstream.nl"); define("agSUPPORT_EMAIL", "lennart@renderstream.nl"); define("agSUPPORT_NAME", "lennart"); define("agALLOW_NAME_CHANGE", "1"); define("agPUBLIC_BROWSING", "0"); define("agUSE_CATEGORIES", "1"); define("agLOG_ALL_IPS", "0"); // Panel Settings define("agPANEL_BOOKMARK_COUNT", "20"); define("agPANEL_PRIVATE_COUNT", "5"); define("agPANEL_HISTORY_COUNT", "5"); define("agPANEL_USERDISCUSSIONS_COUNT", "5"); define("agPANEL_SEARCH_COUNT", "20"); // Discussion Settings define("agMAX_COMMENT_LENGTH", "5000"); define("agMAX_TOPIC_WORD_LENGTH", "45"); define("agDISCUSSION_POST_THRESHOLD", "3"); define("agDISCUSSION_TIME_THRESHOLD", "60"); define("agDISCUSSION_THRESHOLD_PUNISHMENT", "120"); define("agCOMMENT_POST_THRESHOLD", "5"); define("agCOMMENT_TIME_THRESHOLD", "60"); define("agCOMMENT_THRESHOLD_PUNISHMENT", "120"); define("agTEXT_WHISPERED", "Private"); define("agTEXT_STICKY", "Sticky"); define("agTEXT_CLOSED", "Closed"); define("agTEXT_HIDDEN", "Hidden"); define("agTEXT_BOOKMARKED", ""); define("agTEXT_PREFIX", "["); define("agTEXT_SUFFIX", "]"); // String Formatting Settings define("agDEFAULTSTRINGFORMAT", "Text"); define("agFORMATSTRINGFORDISPLAY", "DISPLAY"); define("agFORMATSTRINGFORDATABASE", "DATABASE"); // Application Mode Constants define("agMODE_DEBUG", "DEBUG"); define("agMODE_RELEASE", "RELEASE"); define("agMODE_UPGRADE", "UPGRADE"); // Registration settings define("agDEFAULT_ROLE", "0"); define("agALLOW_IMMEDIATE_ACCESS", "0"); define("agAPPROVAL_ROLE", "3"); // Application version - Don't change this value or you may have // problems upgrading later. define("agVANILLA_VERSION", "0.9.2.6"); // Note: Vanilla 0.9.2.6 included some extremely important security patches. // If you do not have this version installed, we highly recommend that you replace your old vanilla // files with this version. It is okay to leave all files in the appg folder as they are. ?>
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    EDIT: Nevermind
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    define("agDOMAIN", "forum.renderstream.nl\"); should not have a backslash at the end.

That's escaping the quote and making the string extend to the next quote. When it gets there, it tries to interpret the contents of the next string as php code.

Who called that one? *does his little php dance*
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited December 2005
    And here:define("agAPPLICATION_PATH", "C:\www\forum/");
    Those should be either double slashes or in single quotes, although as it is it probably won't have a huge affect on it, as I don't think \w or \f are escape characters of any kind.
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    Or he could just use forward slashes, which are perfectly valid on Windows.

define("agAPPLICATION_PATH", "C:/www/forum/");
  • Options
    Point taken.
  • Options
    THANK YOU Bergamot ! That solved the problem! I wonder how this can happen... I never changed this file. it was generated like this by vanilla i guess.... Anyway I will be looking into quotes, slashes and semicollons when I encounter this error again. Thanks again!
  • Options
    No prob; I've seen that error about a dozen times in the last few days of hacking away at the vanilla templates.
This discussion has been closed.