Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can't post in any category if starting a discussion while viewing a read-only category

edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm assuming this is a bug, but anyway. The situation is this:

I have several categories, and each of these categories have their own roles (I'll just refer to them as "public roles" from now on, since they're the ones assigned to regular/non-mod/non-admin users) (a user needs to be assigned a role before being able to view the corresponding category). I also have an "announcements" category that all public roles have the permission to view (not post comments). Now, the problem: if I click "Start a new thread" while viewing the announcements category, when trying to post the discussion, it comes up with the "You do not have the permission to post in this category" error message at the top, even though I did select a category that I have permission to post in the drop-down menu that appears in the "start a new discussion" screen (the announcements category doesn't even show up there). However, if I click "start a new discussion" outside the announcements category (i.e. while viewing "All discussions" or the category that I do have permission to post in), it works fine.

Anyone else come across this problem? Is it indeed a bug or have I messed something up?