Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Locale Developer's file encoding bug

edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

If i understand all correct, there are two main features of locale developer.

1.Copy the definitions from a locale pack to the Locale Developer. The definitions will be put in the copied.php file. :

This means just copying, i use this to create a translation from beginning. Because this button copies the skeleton file to a working folder.

2.Capture the changes between one of your locale packs and the Locale Developer. It will be put in the changes.php file.

I copied skeleton locale. This file can be change with further releases. I will use this file to compare definitions with my translation and if script finds something missing, it will put it into changes.php with my original translation.

If all this correct i have 2 questions.

1. When script puts missing strings or definitions from source to my translation. It encodes my translation with ANSI, at the end i have a changes.php in ANSI so my language's UTF-8 compatible characters goes into some meaningless shapes. Can this change.php file include only missing lines in English.

2. Can i use this change.php file to complete translation then i can rename it to definitions.php and i can put it in locale folder.?

Thanks.

Comments

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    1. The encoding thing is a bug and is a result of me being an insensitive English speaker. Sorry about that. I'll get on a fix ASAP.

2. You can absolutely use changes.php to complete the translation. That is the intent.
  • edited November 2010
    1. Thank you!

2. That is cool! But related with this post http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/13576/how-to-change-forum-language, why i can't manage to translate my forum?

Please make a good how to localize document! I searched a lot but i can't find how to localize forum in several languages. Or i find a lot of pieces and i am trying to collect them in a piece from this morning.

I downloaded Turkish plugin. I uploaded it to my plugins folder nothing happened. Now i created tr-TR etc... and that kind of stuff but i have disappointed about localization. :( I have lots of hope, also :)