Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Why does the forum jump around so much?

edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

I'm new to Vanilla and I was wondering why the links to forum threads sometimes jump to random comments within the thread?

I prefer a more traditional forum structure where you click to read a post you are sent to the first post at top of the page. With Vanilla it seems to have anchor links that drop you half way down the page to a random comment.

Why does it do this? It makes navigation confusing to say the least. However I really love Vanilla's Facebook style ajax and I want to keep using this script on my site.

Is there any way I can disable all the annoying anchor links so I'm always reading forum threads from the top down?

The other annoying thing is when you do a search it pulls up the same thread multiple times. So you never really know if you're already read that thread or not. This isn't as bad as the anchor link issue so if I could just get that fixed I'd be happy.

I search the forum here for answers to my anchor link issue and someone mentioned something about disabling that feature within the account setting but I don't see it.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    It takes you to the earliest new post.

If a thread has 20 posts and you read them all, next time you visit the thread, you'll be taken to the 20th post.

If 20 more people post in that thread, next time you go to the thread you'll be taken to the 21st post to start reading from where you left off.

Its actually pretty clever, not weird or unfathomable.

If you prefer to manually hand crank your forum like the olden days, add this to your conf/config.php:

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Comments']['AutoOffset'] = FALSE;

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Hey Tim,

Thanks for the reply! I like your analogy "hand crank forum" LOL. I usually just skip to the page I left off on but I'm sure the anchor link functionality is useful. But in my case it's cutting off the users name and the anchor position is off making it confusing.

Thanks for the code.
  • Options
    Earlier version had that option in preferences. Cannot speak to the newer ones.
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    thanks Tim
  • Options
    Tim,

That code did the trick. But there's still one problem... if the post has multiple pages the page navigation at the bottom right to go to the next page seems to be anchor linked as well. Any way to make it stop jumping? It cut off the user name.

Thanks,