Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla API - am I missing something?

judgejjudgej
edited December 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I took a look at the API, since I have the need to be able to update stuff within Vanilla from an external application. From what I can see, there isn't an API there yet - there is a way to access pages using a different output format or view, but no way to actually control the application, or even log in as a specific user from the application trying to make updates.

Am I just looking in the wrong place, or perhaps the documentation is simply not there yet?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    The API is only for getting the things in JSON format, in a PULL way and I haven't seen any PUSH application (e.g.: post from command line via cURL or something like that).

/cd
  • Options
    judgejjudgej
    edited December 2010
    Okay, thanks. I probably wouldn't actually describe this as an API yet then, but I guess it is a start (so I won't argue semantics). Ideally I would want to be able to call up all the POST and GET modification pages too and get JSON/XML etc. back on the result (maybe this is kind of already there, when you look at how the AJAX stuff works?).

I think some way to authenticate on each call, or authenticate once and work with a session token, would also be good. Being able do anything that a user can do with a machine-readable interface would be great, and could expand the application of Vanilla greatly.

-- JJ
  • Options
    Well, you should be able to do authenticated POST requests once you use HTTPS + username / password for the API, but that is a bit more involved to set up (i think).

In the end, I see this ending up as a GTK / .Net program that you run on your machine that allows you to connect to multiple Vanilla Forum instances, get notifications from there and manage all your Vanilla Forums from one window.

/cd