Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Intergration with (non-wordpress) PHP based site

edited December 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
OK have spent the last two days searching this forum and google to try and figure this out. I love the embed feature for some reason no other forum software had what was looking for. I tried phbb3, bbperss etc.

ok now for the meat of what I am looking to do (while using the embed feature):
(I can not use the proxyconnect feature even though the SSO works I need to be able to pull user and forum data from vanilla into parts of my website.)

SetUP example: Website is located at www.example.com/index.php
Forum located: www.example.com/forum/
I know how to use php moderate/advance

1. I would like to create a login form that will log users into mysite and vanilla
I was going to just copy the form elements from vanilla but a little perplexed about the transient ID and how to start a vanilla session on example.com/index.php

so for example:
if($user is logged in to my site){
loginto vanilla and display registered user pages
}else{
continue to show vistor information
}

2. Display user or forum data anywhere I want when logged in (I know the vanilla API is useful but just need a push in the right direction)

example show user name, or avatar on every page of my site when logged in.

that's all I want to do.

Heck if could base the hole thing on sessions that would be ideal

example:
step1: user logs into my site at example.com
step2. signs them up in the background and sets up a vanilla session so once they go to the embed page of the form vanilla assumes that they are logged in.

Thank you for the coming help not looking for someone to code this for me just a push in the right director as I said I know php enough to know that I can accomplish it with my knowledge it may take me months to find which route to take.

Comments