Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Whispering comments to a role, instead of a specific user

Is there any way to do this in Vanilla? It'd be pretty handy to be able to whisper a new discussion regarding the forum itself to all of the admin role.

Comments

• Options
    We've talked about multiple whispering before but realised it'd be a massive extension to the whispering function due to having multiple user id's and whatnot. Whispers to roles could work a lot more effectively though. Interesting idea.
  • Options
    i like the sound of this. i was thinking about how it would be good to be able to whisper to multiple people only the other day.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Whispers gone wild! it's madness I tell you! madness!
  • Options
    This could be foiled as some of the higher level roles could have the ability to see all whispers anyway.
  • Options
    true but it'd still be useful. Whispers in general will always have that difficulty. Being able to whisper to roles would be more useful for stuff like broadcasts in my mind. I.e. whisper to all moderators - do not tolerate whatever (or something) - doesnt matter if it's seen by higher admins as theyre probably the ones who set the rule to begin with.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Yeah, any roles with the ability to view whispers foil whispering.
  • Options
    Interesting idea
  • Options
    the whispering to roles is genius!
  • Options
    Why couldn't you just make specific categories that are only viewable by that specific group? It'd be the same thing without the rough extension - unless I'm missing something completely here.
  • Options
    It depends how it worked, josh. If the extension was made so that only people within the role could whisper to it i guess that does the same job. I wonder about people in different roles whispering to another role. Hmmm.
  • Options
    Hello guys, I'm new here, I just start converting vanilla to my bands new website and I'm wondering about wispering to groups also, has mark picked this up or anyone else?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    You don't need whispers in order to do this. 1. Create a new role called "Admins". 2. Assign all of the users you want in that role to that role. 3. Create a new category called "Admin Discussions" and only grant the Admin role access to that category. 4. Post in that category and only that role will see the discussions.
  • Options
    will the role also see the category itself or only the discussions ?
  • Options
    What about a member wanting to send a whisper to the entire Admin role; they can't access the Admin Discussion caterogry to do so... (Sorry I don't have a use for this function I'm just throwing ideas around, seeing if I could contribute something)
  • Options
    -- will the role also see the category itself or only the discussions ? -- Both.
  • Options
    I think I'm misunderstanding Mark's 1-4 above

create a new role - got it
    assign users to that role - got it
    create new category - grant admin only role - got it

now what permissions will a user in that role have ? how can they see/participate in that discussion or category if they are not assigned to that category, or is there one other step left out ?
  • Options
    Something different: Is it possible, to prevent a single role from whispering?

I´d like this for controlling reasons. If only i.e. moderators can whisper, they can send notes within discussions to other moderators, but "simple members" shall not be able to whisper, in order to have not to much "aside diskussions". Or if somebody missuse whispering for - whatever - it might be useful, to have a role without permission to whisper.
  • Options
    My forced whisper extension can force certain roles to whisper, i guess you could edit it pretty easily to work the other way round.
  • Options
    This is interresting (I've purposed the same thing in another post, sorry !). I explain, for example, for a WoW forum, we've got officers, class masters(one or 2 for each class), members, applicants, and non-members. Non-members presents themselves in the recruitment forum, in order for us to give them a try. Often we (officers, class masters) have to give our opinion about a non-member, applicant or event a member (warning, informations, etc.) that he should not see. We have no good solution to do this on our forum (nuked klan... :s) so we have to do this by other ways (in a specific category, not linked with the post, etc.) but it's very unefficient and very heavy to manage. So for this, whispering a role, or a role list, would be perfect !
  • Options
    Whispering to a role... that would be something! Maybe an extension? :] Anyone...?
This discussion has been closed.