Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

main menu dropdowns not firing

codegruntcodegrunt New
edited January 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Howdy. I have installed the "categories menu" plugin which is supposed to add a drop down to the discussions menu listing categories. When it is installed, the top menu ends up looking like this:

<ul id="Menu"> <li><a href="/forum/dashboard/settings">Dashboard</a></li> <li class=" Highlight"><a href="/forum/discussions">Discussions</a> <ul> <li><hr /></li> <li><a href="/forum/categories/announcements">Announcements<span>1</span></a></li> <li><a href="/forum/categories/feedback">Feedback<span>1</span></a></li> <li><a href="/forum/categories/classifieds">Classifieds<span>1</span></a></li> <li><a href="/forum/categories/anything-goes">Anything Goes<span>1</span></a></li> </ul> </li> <li><a href="/forum/activity">Activity</a></li> <li><a href="/forum/messages/all">Inbox</a></li> <li class="UserNotifications"><a href="/forum/profile/1/foobar">foobar</a></li> <li><a href="/forum/discussions/markallviewed">Mark All Viewed</a></li> <li class="NonTab SignOut"><a href="/forum/entry/signout/ABCD?Target=discussions">Sign Out</a></li> </ul>

In the master style sheet, the menu UL is set to "display: none". Looking around the code, it looks like what is supposed to happen is that jQuery is used to add a hover type menu as I see this commented out section in "/js/global.js":

// Main Menu dropdowns /* if ($.fn.menu) $('#Menu').menu({ showDelay: 0, hideDelay: 0 }); */

If this is enabled, the top menu acts haywire which is presumably why it was turned off. My question then is, are hover menus currently broken? If not, what is required to have the top menu have hover sub-menus?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Totally just posted in the wrong thread, will have a look in a bit.
  • Options
    oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    @codegrunt The "Categories 2 Menu" plugin is not compatible to any Vanilla Version later than Vanilla 2 RC2 (<-- old!). Back then, they used to have dropdown-menus in their theme... but this disappeared some time, together with all required CSS, etc.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to reconstruct those menus and update my plugin accordingly. If anybody ( @garymardell ?) has some advise, I'd appreciate to read it and (hopefully) update my plugin.

Regards,
    Oliver
  • Options
    @oliverraduner

Thanks for the heads up and at least the module showed me how to grab the category list.

Cheers
  • Options
    Good news for @codegrund @garymardell - I updated the plugin to work with the latest Version of Vanilla (2.0.16)! :-)
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/categories2menu-plugin
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Hi @oliverraduner !

Thanks for updating your plugin. I have some bad news though. We're on the verge of releasing v2.0.17 in which we completely redesigned categories to address a lot of the complaints and suggestions we've been receiving about Vanilla's category system.

I'd like to suggest that you download our unstable branch (running v2.0.17a) and see if your plugin still works, and if not, make the necessary changes ahead of time.

Sorry about the double work :/

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    edited January 2011
    @Tim are you referring to the latest unstable commit on github? I cloned & applied that one... and it still works.

Anyway, in the Dashboard I still see the Version number as "2.0.16". If you are not referring to the unstable commit on github, can you point me to where I can get version 2.0.17? Thanks

Update: Ok, forget it - I found it. Now I just need to figure out, how I can clone the unstable branch instead of the master from github ;-)

Ok... working on it.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    @Tim Yes, the plugin still works - although it will require a small fix to not show the "Root" entry. I have an update ready for that...

Thanks for pointing me to this upcoming changes to categories.
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Awesome, I'm glad to hear you didn't have to do too much work :)

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]