Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

When will VanillaConnect be available?

edited January 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm debating whether I want to jerry rig a single-sign-on solution that uses Vanilla's login/auth system or if I can just wait a couple of months or so for VanillaConnect to be available for us .org users.

Anyone know of when it might become available?

Comments

• How about using vanilla proxy connect?
  • I gave it a shot but it just doesn't work the way I need so to create the seamless experience I want for my users.

But thanks for the suggestion :)
  • What are you looking for exactly?
    I thought vanilla connect and proxy connect to be the same thing apart from the name.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    We've never promised a date for exposing our credentials as an auth server. We've thought about it for sure, and Todd has done some rough experiments, but its not like we've said we'd do it, let alone 'soon'.

Maybe @Todd wants to weigh in about this as well, but as far as I know, we don't have development time scheduled for that feature in the near future :/

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• I'm curious as to exactly what ProxyConnect doesn't do that you need it to. I'm using it and it's 100% seamless. The only changes I had to make where (1) to disallow members from editing their account info from within the forum and (2) updating my settings page in my CMS to push username and email updates out to the Vanilla users table.
  • I see Tim, unfortunate but completely reasonable. It seemed like it was something that was going to happen as on the documentation it meant coming soon and I took it as the feature was coming soon along with the documentation. Thanks for the reply.

@matthewkris

1.) I really want people to be able to login through twitter and facebook and the others as well. That doesn't seem to work with ProxyConnect. It logs them into the forums but not the site.

2.) I don't want Vanilla using wordpress's login system. Vanilla's login/auth/registration system is amazing. It's very quick, responsive, and offers a much stronger UX than Wordpress's login/auth/registration ever will.

3.) Disabling the forums features is something I don't want to have to do, especially for something like profiles. I think they're fine the way they are.

4.) What I'm essentially looking for is the opposite of ProxyConnect as also stated by: MarkTCorbin http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/14431/vanilla-auth-focused-login-integration

I appreciate the repsonses none-the-less :)