Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can large groups of users be bulk imported (username/email/password)?

edited January 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is there a way to bypass the whole invitation/signup process and simply bulk enroll a large group of people, assuming I have a spreadsheet of usernames, email addresses, and passwords? It would be great if I could just send people pre-assigned information so they could just login right away.

Thanks!

Comments

• Even if there is no "built-in" method for bulk enrollment, can anyone point me to resources that would help if I were to get a contractor to do this for me? I'm assuming it's just importing names/emails into a database so I'm guessing it's possible somehow if you know how to map the data to the right fields. Or I could be way off base. :)

If bulk enrollment is not possible, I'd still be interested in the possibility of bulk invitations. Surely someone had to import a large user base before from a forum that was not compatible with the Importer tool? How did you do it?
  • Try using the Add User from the dashboard. It's a long process if you have many accounts but it's something to use if an import is not made available.
  • Thanks Chuck, good suggestion but I have 600 people to add. :( It would be PERFECT if the Add User tool allowed the import of a CSV file or something.

But that's what makes me think it's possible for a smart person (not me!) to figure out how to do it. If you can add one user with a username/password/email/role, then it must be possible to do it for multiple users, right?
  • I could use the same thing, but I need to import 8000 users!