Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Install error on 1and1 server

edited January 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi there I'm having an issue installing Vanilla 2 on a dedicated server with 1and1 - so could also affect a lot of users. The issue seems to be that we need to use localhost:/tmp/mysql5.sock to access the database and Vanilla ignores everything after the colon.

Here's the connection information I'm using (without password):

Host: localhost:/tmp/mysql5.sock
DB Name: vanilla
DB User: vanillauser
DB Password: **********

This gives the following error:

"Failed to connect to the database with the username and password you entered. Did you mistype them? The database reported:

SQLSTATE[00000] [1045] Access denied for user: 'vanillauser@localhost' (Using password: YES)"

All system requirements are met and I can install all other common database driven systems such as Magento, Wordpress, phpbb etc.

Please advise

Comments

• edited January 2011
    You could try xenserv hosting :-)

We recently became Vanilla compatible (Never had a need for PDO)

You shouldn't have to use socket.
  • Sounds like you might know what the issue is and how to fix it!

Probably the best way you could market your services though would be to help the community by answering to the question if that's the case. You could then go on to explain the benefits of having hosting that doesn't need to use a socket and your services.

That would definitely create a sign of good will for anyone considering changing hosts in the future.
  • edited January 2011
    Depends

Do you like having your stuff work or not?

Lots don't suggest 1and1 lool, I only suggested since you're on a low par host. PHP requires performance.

I retract my statement :-)
  • Sorry what depends excactly? You'll give the answer if I promise to switch to your hosting afterwards! LOL

Just say if you don't know although if you're supposed to be running a hosting company..

Off topic but regarding 1and1 - I know they get a lot of stick but I can't complain from my experience. The shared hosting support gets you through to the Philippines and sheer frustration but as soon as you say you're on a server they transfer you to a dedicated team in the States who are more than competent. Found a free number to call them on and considering the server was £39.99/month for a 4GB Dual CPU it was by far the best deal going.

Did visit your site to compare and clicked on Hosting Plans. Low and behold 'file not found'. I'd also seriously consider using a better 'template' than that.
  • If you have your own system then you need to reconfigure your httpd setup, most likely with PHP.

My friend who used to colo originally hosted through them back in the day with a dedi, they went down hill shortly after.

That sites rewritten and the image it can't find is from another site. and no I didn't find a template LOL