Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Proxyconnect Addon] Using Proxyconnect but users can't sign in to my forum*

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

Using WordPress 3.04, Vanilla v2.0.17.6 and Proxyconnect v1.8.4, I am trying to integrate an install of Vanilla Forum into my WordPress site so that when users log in to WordPress, they will also be logged in to the Vanilla Forum. On my server, I have WordPress installed in a subdirectory of my root folder. (mydomain.org.uk/__wp)

Vanilla is installed in another subdirectory in the root folder. (mydomain.org.uk/vanilla)

I installed and activated the Proxyconnect plug-in in Vanilla and uploaded and activated the Vanilla Proxyconnect for WP3 plug-in in WordPress. I tried to do a automatic WordPress integration of Proxyconnect in Vanilla but this failed. So, I took the manual Vanilla settings for WordPress and copied them into the Vanilla configuration. I set the cookie domain on both to .mydomain.org.uk and saved the settings and activated the Proxyconnect authenticator.

Then, I tried to log in to WordPress as a user. This worked. But when I went into the Vanilla Forum, I wasn't logged in. I get the "Howdy Stranger, It looks like you're new here." message with the options to sign in or apply for membership. When I click in "Sign in", nothing happens. It's like the page is trying to do something, but nothing happens or it's redirecting back to itself and it's still asking me to sign in.

If I click the "Apply for membership", it redirects me to my WordPress admin dashboard.

Just to note: I have cleared my cache several times and this hasn't helped. I have checked that the URL rewrites and cURL are enabled, and have uninstalled and reinstalled Vanilla twice. I've also played around with different cookie domains, but none of it is helping.

At the minute, I'm a bit stuck. I really want to use Vanilla because it's so standards-compliant, but I need my WordPress users to use the forum without having to log in or register a second time. I get the feeling that I've missed something simple, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

James

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Hi @jimjam_app, any luck with you? I am also having similar problem. Writing here and there asking for help but no success yet.

Regd,
    Lakhats
  • I'm having the same issues - did you end up getting this resolved?
  • Make sure you have trashed all Vanilla cookies before testing (and if you're logging in and out as different users that your logout process destroys the Vanilla cookie). I'm using manual integration, not WP, but I can't get it to work above 2.0.16