Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

'Easy' BuddyPress Importing anything on the Horizon?

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I’m currently looking at the possibility of returning our community forum to Vanilla from BuddyPress. We actually started out with Vanilla but left it few months later in favour of BBPress (and then to BuddyPress) under the assumption that it would get the same level of attention from Automatic that WP did and still does. Suffice it to say it neither BBPress or BuddyPress has really gotten the attention they both deserve.

Now the folks here at Vanilla on the other hand (seem to) have really done great job developing things! Very impressive! In terms of fresh installs it looks to me like it is actually easier to integrate VF into an existing WP site than either BP or bbP currently are. Both in terms integrated user logins and layout. No idea why Automatic hasn’t got this sorted out yet but they do not!

Anyhow, my issue at this point is not being able to easily import users from an existing BP install into VF. Thus far I have been unable to successfully get this done using the importer.

I have already asked about this in another topic which can be found via the link below and so to avoid total duplication I’m not asking about hacks or work a rounds.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/14652/importing-from-buddypress-to-vanilla-via-the-porter-plugin

I’d like to know if there are any plans to include an actual BP import option? Ideally I would like to be able to import, existing activity stream, user/user profile and forum content. However, I realize that’s a tall order and would be happy if I could even just get my users and forum content imported. I’m not a that advanced at backend tinkering and so would prefer to avoid directly making changes to data bases.

I Love the Importer but I won't seem to work with BP at present.

Is this is something you guys are working is there an eta?

Really love what you guys have done with VF2 truly and I hope I can figure out a way to switch over.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/info people can offer regarding BP import tools.

Comments

• Anyone?

I think it's a relevant question. No?
  • I would really like to know this answer as well. Looking to port my current BuddyPress stuff over the Vanilla next week during some planned downtime.
  • Am lookin for a way to do this too.

I want to migrate my users, groups and post contents from buddypress to vanilla forums.

Buddypress has just become way too clunky and problem strewn for me to be bothered with it for our site anymore