Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla Embed on Mulitple Sites

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have multiple retail sites with a common checkout. They are themed as a "family of sites" and I always wanted to create a community for them. I love the vanilla forums application and everything that it offers, and the new Embed feature seems like a godsend.
However, what I'm trying to accomplish doesn't seem to be addressed by Embed. What I wanted to do was have one installation of vanilla, and embed a forum into each of my sites, BUT I would be embedding the same discussions again and again. Ultimately, I think, this would be confusing to visitors and forum members.
I wanted to create a category for each site, and then only embed that category discussion in the site that corresponds. However, after some searching, it doesn't seem this is possible, unless I do multiple installations of vanilla, and that seems like just too much to manage.
Is there a way possible to achieve what I'm after with vanilla and Embed?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I was looking at the actual remote.js file, and there is a line of code there that might be the answer, but I hope that one of the more advanced vanilla users might want to discuss this.
    This line
    vanillaUrl = function(path) {
    return 'http://' + host + path + '&remote=' + encodeURIComponent(embedUrl);
    }

document.write('');
    return this;

Could it be possible to change this code to identify the url of the category I want to embed? Further, if this is possible, then couldn't I just make copies of embed.js like siteoneembed.js, sitetwoembed.js, with the categories I want to embed in each file, then just call that js file instead of the original embed.js?
  • Options
    I'm a nitty little granny here folks. I'm sorry.
    Nothin?
  • Options
    Could you possibly just assign a category to each site, like you said, and then assign a role to each category, and assign the users that use that site to each role.

I understand that you might have to see which user uses each site to assign them to the correct role, but that could probably just be something that you could ask when they register, then have it on their profile. You will have to accept each user that signs up though, then look at which site they entered, and assign them accordingly. Sounds like a large job, but I am going to assume that if you run a 'family of sites' that you have other staff with you that may be able to lend a hand if you can't accept and sort them all.

Unfortunately, I am very new to Vanilla, only been using it for about 2 months now, so I am unable to help out with the java script at the moment. If you do understand what the java script does, maybe install another instance on a server and test it out. See what you can do with it.

Cheers,
    Gig
  • Options
    @Gig, thank you, but I don't think that I could manage what you're suggesting. Way too much for me or for the staff to watch.
    Darn it.