Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

IE users not able to create thumbnails

judgejjudgej
edited March 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Using Vanilla 2.0.13 I found that IE8 users could not set their thumbnail - the mouse pointer did not change to a cross when hovering over the user's uploaded image, and a crop box would not draw.

I upgraded the "jcrop" jQuery script (js/library/jquery.jcrop.pack.js) from 0.9.5 (as it is also on Vanilla 2.0.17.8) to 0.9.8 and this fixed the issue.

There is still an error in it, which invokes the IE debugger if it is switched on, but at least thumbnails can be created now.

I don't know how it works with IE7 or lower. I thought this might be useful for people having this problem, and for the core team if someone would like to raise a bug.

-- Jason

Comments

• Thanks! I am having the same problem with IE8. I will try the solution proposed to see if it works for me.
  • Just a question, where can I obtain jquery.jcrop.pack.js from? I downloaded jquery.Jcrop-0.9.8.zip but it does not contain jquery.jcrop.pack.js? Any help would be appreciated.
  • judgejjudgej
    edited March 2011
    Your first post reminded me I needed to mention that. Basically, it does not matter which version you use, so long as you rename it for Vanilla.

Take the "jquery.jcrop.min.js" version from the zip file then rename it "jquery.jcrop.pack.js" and drop it in over the original Vanilla version. All versions (min, pack, original) contain the same JavaScript, but just compressed in different ways.

You could probably create your own proper "packed" version from the uncompressed version of the script, rather than renaming the "minimised" version to look like a packed version. However, the name of the files is just a convention, so it makes no odds, especially when you want it to just simply work so you can move on to more interesting things.
  • Thanks a lot for the detailed instructions and further information! As you noted, I renamed the jquery.jcrop.min.js to jquery.jcrop.pack.jst and uploaded the file to js/library/jquery.jcrop.pack.js. The thumbnail editing now works perfectly in IE8.
  • Try 3D Thumbnail Generator to create impressive 3D thumbnails. http://www.softorbits.com/3d-thumbnail-generator