Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Is it possible to moderate/pre-approve forum posts?

edited March 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is it possible to moderate/pre-approve forum posts?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, but I don't exactly understand the question fully.

Do your forum staff need to approve posts and discussions before they are open to everyone to see?
  • Options
    I've written a plugin that does this if certain key phrases are detected. It's not been released as a public plugin, but could be if there is a need for it.

The plugin allows an individual comment or discussion to be approved or unapproved at any time. If unapproved, the post text just shows up a default message instead of its contents (e.g. awaiting approval) while the administrator can see both this message and the underlying contents.

Is that the kind of thing you are looking for?
  • Options
    I'm not the OP, but that actually sounds like something we could use on our forum. Can the plugin be restricted to certain categories?
  • Options
    Sounds very nice.
    Especially if we could define conditions for this, not only phrases.
    Like members+less than 10 messages+posting link (we can use matching here).
  • Options
    I would be very interested in parts of this plugin. This would be great with my NillaBlog plugin to allow for moderated anonymous posts on a per category basis.

Please open source it!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    Sounds very nice.
    Especially if we could define conditions for this, not only phrases.
    Like members+less than 10 messages+posting link (we can use matching here).
    with phpbb I had a usergroup that new users were moved to until they had 3 approved posts. Those first three had to be manually approved but they were promoted automatically from that group to a standard usergroup when they met that criteria

Sort of like a membership workflow. That could be a nice thing to have again.

• Options
    I know, many phpbb owners user different groups for this or similar purposes.
    We could use similar approach, adding special settings for each group (specify number of posts, time from registration and target group) .
  • Options
    @Gig Yes, I need to approve posts and discussions before they are open to everyone to see.

@judgej Your plugin can help me a lot! How can I get it?
  • Options
    @conigs It cannot be turned on and off for categories, but for each category it does have a permission setting, defining who is able to approve or disapprove the comments and discussions (i.e. defining the roles that will be moderators).
  • Options
    judgejjudgej
    edited March 2011
    Wow - I had no idea this would raise so much interest. I'll do some tidying up and see what state I can get it into. It does have a lot of mods that need to go into the theme, and perhaps with a later version of Vanilla that won't be necessary.

There are three sets of phrases the plugin acts on: phrases that will put the post into approval mode immediately, phrases that will allow the post but send a notification email to someone, and phrases that simply get blocked from display but otherwise allow the posts (kind of superseded by the "Civil Tongue" plugin).

I can't say how long that will take, but I'll try and include hooks into various places so people can add their own extensions to it for adding to the rules.

From the database POV, it adds a new flag on the discussions and comments that states whether that post should be visible to non-moderators or not. There are so many different places where comments and discussions are pulled out of the database for display, that this is the reason I have so many theme changes.
  • Options
    @judgei
    Of course it raised interest, as such functions are normally present in all forum engines :-) Because it is useful and saves time.

Try to add roles or data since registration setting, so we could define different rules for new users.
  • Options
    This feature will be very useful!