Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Pop out on mobile?

dudieboydudieboy New
edited March 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
So I'm setting up Vanilla Forums for use with a WordPress blog, activated embed Vanilla plugin, and have copied the embed code to a static page on my site. I prefer this treatment for browser, but for mobile I'm wondering if there's a way to detect mobile access and redirect the user to the Vanilla forum url so that the forum displays full in the browser using the mobile theme. Is there a way to modify the embed code so that if the page detects a mobile browser, it redirects to the Vanilla install? I believe the function of my mobile theme redirect script is wpmsme_check_mobile, if that helps you figure out an example code.

EDIT: Btw I already added a link to the page above the forum embed code that mobile users can click to go to the Vanilla forum direct, but I would prefer auto-redirection.

BTW, is that what this forum (Vanillaforums.org) does? Cause it appears to be embedded at first glance, but now that I examine it further it's starting to look like this is Vanilla, and not an embed. How do you guys keep the banner across the top? Do you call in elements from a theme stored elsewhere?

Comments

• I'd be quite interested in a solution for this as well. I already have a WP blog that automatically detects whether a visitor is using a smartphone and switches the theme automatically.

I'm not embedding Vanilla in WP but would like users to get the view appropriate to their device. (nothing more annoying than a forum that isn't optimized for mobile devices, see the EVE Online forums)