Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Custom permissions not working

edited March 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm trying to give one of my categories customer permissions so that only a few user roles can see it and interact within, while the rest are oblivious to its existence. I've ticked the "This category has custom permissions" box and customized where appropriate. Essentially, those that are banned, guests, or regular users are unable to see this one category. Anyone who is a moderator, super moderator, or administrator can see and post within.

However, when I view the forum logged out, and even in other browsers, guests are able to see the category and post I have within. I imagine this is the same for regular users too.

As well, something of note is the category Url. When I'm editing any given category, it says the url is:

However, when trying to go to this, I get a page not found error. When I change "category" to "categories" it works like it should. What's the deal with this? And is this somehow causing the problem I mentioned above?


  • Options
    Hi Michael,

    I think you are having the same issue that I am. I have tried different browsers and still having the same issue.

    When you change the permissions and click save, do you find that the settings do not change if you go to edit that same category?

    Here is the link to the discussion that I started regarding the same issue. If I find a potential solution I will let you know.

  • Options
    Hi Michael,
    I figured out my problem. It was a combination of two things:

    1) me overlooking the fact that I had my test account set as the wrong role so it naturally was having access to things that it should not have.

    2) the bug that is described in this post.
    When you save the changes in the custom permissions section when editing a category it makes the changes in the database so that it should work correctly. However if you go back to make another edit the page has defaulted back and is not accurately representing what is in the database. Basically you have to change the permission settings each time you click the save button, otherwise those default settings will update the database again.

    Hope this helps explain things.
Sign In or Register to comment.