Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Login with WordPress user - possible?

edited April 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I would like to know if there is any possibility to integrate Vanilla with a WP installation. I don't want to force the users to register in two places, so having them registered on WP is enough.

So...is this possible? Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• And ProxyConnect does you no good?

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/proxyconnect_sso
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks!

If possible, where can I please find "Vanilla's Cookie Domain"?

Later edit: I've just logged out from Vanilla and I'm trying to login using my WP user/pass. Right now...it doesn't works, I'm kinda...stuck...

I've activated the plugin both on Vanilla and on WP, activated (except the "cookie domain").
  • So...any help please...?

I still didn't manage to "sync" the users, so an advice would be highly appreciated!
  • I've successfully managed to "connect" Vanilla and WP using the ProxyConnect plugin (which is *highly* undocumented/outdated). But here are my concerns:

1) Existing users need to "link" their WP account with Vanilla, which is very strange, as they kinda re-register. The linking process is almost the same as registering a new account.

2) When registering the users are redirected to the WP registration page. That is very strange, again, as users are thrown from a system to another and they have no idea why. So most of them stopped registering and started complaining.

3) We *really* need a way to "import"/sync all the users from WP to Vanilla, or bridge them. bbPress does this flawlessly and it's a very (very!) nice feature. Please, do something! :)
  • For ProxyConnect to ask for users to be "linked", they must already exist on both WP and Vanilla. Have you been running these two systems side-by-side with the same users registering on both for some time?

You say that throwing user out to the login page of another application is strange. However, this is exactly the purpose of ProxyConnect. The idea is that all user registration and authentication is handled entirely by an external application. If you can provide a login page on that external application that is styled the same as Vanilla (assuming your Vanilla and WP sites are styled differently) then that should provide enough to keep users happy. It is unfortunate that WP does not make it easy to style the registration and login pages. It is possibly something that can be incorporated into the WP plugin at some point though.