Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Increasing user timeout values

Andy KAndy K
edited June 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi guys, I'm loving my Vanilla install. It's new, fresh, needs a bit of work, but it's working much better for my needs than trad forums. Great friggin job! Anyway, some users have complained about being logged out before they have time to post their comments. I think this sounds like the scenario we're seeing: EDIT: It sounds very much like this report: http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/870/ Also, it looks very similar to bug #1 in the Sev 4/5 category (but I had a followup question if this is the case): 1) User logs in. 2) User starts to write a long comment. 3) They go get a cup of coffee. 4) They read a comic book. 5) They come back to finish their comment, hit Post, and get an error (I'm trying to get the user to reproduce this to get the content, but they recalled "line 38") 6) They can't retreive their posts. Now, I'm having him check his browser cookies, but: * I have the domain cookies set correctly (www.story-games.com, though after reading the ".story-games.com" trick on another report, I'll switch to that soone) * I haven't experienced this problem myself (but I tend to write quickly) * Forum is www.story-games.com/forum * The user has "Remember Me" checked * The forum allows non-members to browse the forum, but not post (would this make a difference?) Looking at that first known bug in Sev4, where it mentioned "open forum", would this issue be resolved if I locked the forum down so that non-members cannot browse them? I looked around for other similar issues (like this one: http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/659/ ) but am wondering if this is something different. Also, I'm wondering if I can shim the sessions open using a longer default timeout value... is there a setting for this in Vanilla, or would it be a PHP thing? If PHP, anyone know where I can perhaps change this from 30 min to 60 min? I don't have control over my php install, but if I point to an issue for my provider, they should be able to adjust it for me. Thank you very much! -Andy

Comments

• Options
    Hi Andy. With the cookies thing, best thing to do is to get the complaining users to completely clear their cookies and then do a normal login (with remember me ticked) which *should* fix the issue. if not then i'm afraid the only option is to wait for 0.9.3. Cookies are a known bug in 0.9.2 as you've discovered and while i've never had any major problems i know a lot of other people have - to which there is no solution pre-upgrade. As for the session value, I'm pretty sure thats a php install thing. Though dont hold me to it.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    if you're seeing a phpsessid string in the url bar, that's a php misconfiguration. I forget the actual name revolving around it, and what to change, but it's definatly php related.
  • Options
    Hey all, Upon further investigation, it simply looks like a problem with OSX/Safari users getting logged out. Aparently Safari has issues with cookies, as the only users getting the error were OSX/Safari, and on other browsers it worked. Thanks!
  • Options
    i'm using 0.9.3 and it's still an issue for some users, even after the clear cookies/remember me trick
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Complain to the safari dev team on this one then by submitting bug reports :) They have a pretty good track record with patching up complaints dealing with usability.
  • Options
    Using the latest zip file for 1.0 2 users reported this to me and it seemed very similar to this discussion. But in our case, user is not using remember me, so is it about cookies? This happens: User logs in but does NOT use remember me. At some point typying a very long post, they get logged out and so the post comment doesn't go through.
  • Options
    Isnt that just cause the session times out? You should be able to change it in your server config (or ask your host)
This discussion has been closed.