Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla newbie... Many questions

tedeltedel New
edited April 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello,

I'm trying Vanilla (and, well, I'm trying to set up a forum for the first time in my life) for the first time. I think that reading got me somewhat far, but now I am in the point I will need to ask.

First, the link to the, ahem, patient: http://heptagrama.com/dogma/

- Installation went smooth. The forum started working properly.
- I downloaded theme Timely, and started to create a derivative custom design for my site. It is the one you see on that link.

Now the questions:

+ My site is bilingual, English and Spanish. I need to know whether there is a way to have a language selector for the forum.

+ Pages do not renew easily when changed. Many changes appear only after refreshing from server (control+R or control+f5). I doubt this is a normal behaviour, so please, let me know what I might be doing wrong.

+ I also need to know whether there is a way to avoid subcategories from appearing on the side bar. They would just make my sidebar too long. I would only need categories there.

+ I noticed you cannot drag new categories using IE9. No problems when using other browsers.

+ Lastly, this custom theme, works in screens but does not seem to work in mobile browsers (I tried Opera Mini only). Is there anything I need to do in order to make a custom design work in a mobile browser too? It is just too much difference.

Thanking you,
Tedel

Comments

• Options
    OK, some hours after, I changed to the Embed-friendly theme and it was easier to make my design fit my site. I must admit Pockets is a great add-on as well.

As for the things in this post, I still wish to know whether there is a way to have a bilingual locale (or whether I have to create one myself) or have a language "switch" somewhere. I also need to know how to hide subcategories from the panel because my forum would just become too long if I keep adding them.

As for the refreshing/renewal problem I described. I noticed it was because I used .htaccess cache expiration to my PHP files, and this is a PHP forum! So removing the expiration for PHP files solved it.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think you are right!
    I think you are right!
  • Options
    I think I have solved all my doubts. Can you close this duscission?