Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Possibility to demo multiple styles from one installation?

edited July 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm trying to figure out how to set up a demo site for my styles. I already have one and one that is almost ready to be released. I can't seem to find a way that lets guests change which style they'd like.

I'm looking for something like this: http://www.yootheme.com/demo/wordpress

I don't need anything quite that fancy, but I would like to offer a demo of my styles before people download them. I don't want to have a separate installation from every style. What's the easiest way to do this?

P.S. I only know HTML and CSS. I don't really know PHP. I know the very very very very basics of it and that's it. I plan on releasing the styles for free so it doesn't make any sense to pay someone to do it either.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    You aren't going to be able to achieve what you want without doing some coding.

I've done something similar in a plugin which has the relevant code here:
    public function Base_BeforeDispatch_Handler($Sender) {
    $Theme = C('Plugins.ThemeDeveloper.Theme');
    SaveToConfig('Garden.Theme', $Theme, array('Save' => FALSE));
    }
    This will change the appropriate css and master view for a theme, but won't enable theme hooks.

Answers

• Options
    Does anyone have a solution for this?
  • Options
    I really hate to keep asking but this is something I really kinda need. I would really like to be able to host all the theme demos from one installation of Vanilla.
  • Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    You aren't going to be able to achieve what you want without doing some coding.

I've done something similar in a plugin which has the relevant code here:
    public function Base_BeforeDispatch_Handler($Sender) {
    $Theme = C('Plugins.ThemeDeveloper.Theme');
    SaveToConfig('Garden.Theme', $Theme, array('Save' => FALSE));
    }
    This will change the appropriate css and master view for a theme, but won't enable theme hooks.
  • Options
    Thank you, I have very little knowledge of PHP so to be honest I have no idea what that code means.

I'm not at all sure how to take this and go from there but I'm not quite ready to release a new theme yet anyway.
  • Options
    @Todd Actually now that I've been able to reset up my localhost, how would I go about using the code that you posted above? I'm not at all fluent on PHP terms or it's use, so you'll have to speak in as simple of terms as possible.

I really really appreciate your help. I am really looking forward to being able to provide themes for the community here at Vanilla for free, but I'd like to do it in as professional of a manner as possible so your help is extremely appreciated!